April 2013 - The Colonial Palace
In 1931, at the height of its influence as a colonial power, France hosted an event called the International Colonial Exposition in the Bois de Vincennes in Paris. In this month's Paris Insights, we take a look at the Colonial Palace, a monument that was built for the exposition and to celebrate the glory of French imperialism.
A large guilded bronze statue once stood on the steps of the entrance to the Colonial Palace. Read about its symbolism in this months Paris, Past and Present.
We had the occasion to dine at Le Dogon, a restaurant that specializes in cuisine from Mali and Senegal. Read our review in Le Bon Goût to learn about the delicious food that we enjoyed there and to meet the restaurant's owner, Bécaye Tounkara.
One of Entrée to Black Paris' most popular walking tours is called Black History in and around the Luxembourg Garden.
Explore the Luxembourg Garden and learn about the histories of such luminaries as Richard Wright, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Séjour, and Henry O. Tanner. Learn about the myth of the black Statue of Liberty, and see the contemporary sculpture that commemorates the abolition of slavery in the French colonies.
The tour, led by a knowledgeable and experienced local guide, involves about 2 hours of walking. Black History in and around the Luxembourg Garden is a regularly-scheduled walking tour.
Click here to view the schedule: https://www.entreetoblackparis.com/scheduled-walking-tours.
We look forward to helping make your trip to Paris memorable!
Paris Panorama Newsletters for 2013
- December 2013 - A Conversation with Régis Labourdette
- November 2013 - A Conversation with Ferdinand Ezembé
- October 2013 - The First Skyscraper in Paris
- September 2013 - The Votive Basilica of Saint Joan of Arc
- August 2013 - Pierre Charial - Noteur
- July 2013 - The Archaeological Crypt of the Square of Notre Dame Cathedral
- June 2013 - A Visit to Petit Mali – An African Neighborhood in Paris
- May 2013 - The Man Who Records Paris
- April 2013 - The Colonial Palace
- March 2013 - The Man Who Paints Paris
- February 2013 - Tasting Malagasy Chocolate from Five French Producers
- January 2013 - Sarah Rozenbaum Sells Vintage Apparel